Saturday, April 14, 2012

Week 11, Day 6 - 16 week full IM training

Bed at 12:30 AM. Woke at 5:30 AM.
SUPER WINDY. Phone was saying 25mph when I woke and it was only supposed to get worse. Doors sounding like they were coming off their hinges.

I got all my stuff together last night. Made a blended salad, grabbed my bag, loaded up my bike and drove to John's at 6:30AM.

Our plan was to spend 5.5 hours in the saddle, not counting time at a gas station to pee and load up on fluids.

I had ridden my Shiv 3.5 hours (1:15 of that outside) so was a little worried it was going to not be dialed in right and be very uncomfortable.

Let's just say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had on a bike. Headwinds didn't seem as bad as they normally do. Cross winds didn't effect me hardly at all. Tail winds intensified my speed. I hit 40.7 mph on a flat with a tail wind. The only time I've ever hit 40 was on a super huge hill. 

We made it to Winters in 2:45. Stopped at a gas station for about 15 minutes, then headed back. The ride back was awesome. Five weeks ago we rode to Winters and I was about ready to call it quits at the halfway point. Today, at mile 100, I felt like I could've ridden another 100.

We got back to John's 5:30 after we left but still had 10 minutes to make up 5.5 hours in the saddle. I rode around the neighborhood a few times to get up to 5.5, hopped off bike, and we set off on a 50' run which had to have been close to 6 miles. Felt great on the run after. Feeling very strong. All this training is paying off. 

I starting alternating Accelerade and water at 1:30, every ten minutes, the "odd" 10' sets (10, 30, 50) are Accelerade sips, "even" sets are water that way when I take a gel at the hour marks, I'm chasing it with water not Accelerade. 

Took gels at 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, and 5 hours. Had one for the run but didn't need it. Just took a big swig of accelerade and left my hand bottle at John's. 

I think calorie-wise that's a pretty good plan. On race day it will most likely be hotter and more humid so I'll just drink more water. Easy to do since I have a bladder in my bike frame....Shiv.

The best part about the bike is how it maintains its speed. When I check up to get fluid or come to a flat after a descent, the thing doesn't slow down...it just keeps rocketing forward. My wattage averaged less than 190 which is very good considering how hard we were working going towards Winters. 

That ride makes me wanna ride 100 miles every day of my life. That bike is incredible.

So...
105.3 mile ride//6 mile run
6:40:20 total

Third century ride in last four weeks.
Planning on going 112 next week.

Have a 2.5 hour run in the morning, then John and I are planning to swim in Fort Phantom with wet suits tomorrow evening.

Menu:
blended salad pre-ride: arugula, spinach, 1/2 avocado, 2 dates, 1 banana
recovery pudding post-ride: blueberries, banana, almonds, hemp protein, flax seed, carob powder, lemon juice
Dinner - small salad, cooked veggies, mung beans, celery/almond butter
Snack - dates, watermelon, brown rice, corn tortillas (3), dry oatmeal, frozen fruit

non VFBNS were corn tortillas, brown rice and oatmeal

No comments:

Post a Comment